Friday, January 20, 2012

The Scaffolding of Grief

As I was flipping the channels yesterday, I passed by Who Wants to be a Millionaire and the question was (and I'm paraphrasing) Jennifer Anniston has a tattoo of Norman on her foot. Is Norman the name of her agent, grandfather, dog, or hairstylist? Final Answer: Dog. Her beloved dog who died.

My thoughts went immediately to my own dog, my beloved Peppie, our miniature schnauzer who died after we moved to Lawton in 2010.

A Peppie Tattoo!! Yes that's it! Ha!! NO...I cannot do that, for a multitude of reasons. Anyway, we had Peppie for about 15 years and when she died, it was devastating. The grief was palpable. But the time came when I knew the 'scaffolding of grief' needed to come down. It was then we knew we needed another dog. The process was not easy. I finally realized I had to stop looking for a dog that was just like "Peppie."



Grief comes in many forms and as a result of many types of losses. The scaffolding of grief envelops us; however grief must be allowed to run its course. The stages of grief, denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance are a part of the scaffold that enables us to learn to live with the loss. Grief is not a sign of weakness but a sign of our humanness.

As a brief word of encouragement to you, embrace your grief and don't fight it. Allow grief to run its course while through the process allowing God to truly heal you.

"But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint" (Isaiah 40:31).

SharB~TTSD
#TakeTheScaffoldingDown

2 comments:

  1. Definitely like this one! I surly miss Peppie!! Think about her all the time! But you are right we must continue to live. Our lives may feel like they are stopping during a grieving time, but the clock is still ticking and we must continue to live, grow, and prosper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JazzyB, you are wise beyond your years which is one of the many things I love and thank God for about you.

      I recently read that people often choose to let the clock stand still and not continue to live. I have learned that in order to live the life God wants for me, I had to make up my mind to move through the grief and allow the healing process to take place.

      3 John 1: 2 says, Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers.

      I take this scripture to heart and believe that submitting my grief to God was necessary for me to continue "to live, grow, and prosper."

      Delete