Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Prospective Teacher

This was published in our Sunday bulletin in appreciation to all of our teachers...I chose to share this here in my blog:

After being interviewed by the school administration, the prospective teacher said:

Let me see if I've got this right.

You want me to go into that room with all those kids, correct their disruptive behavior, observe them for signs of abuse, monitor their dress habits, censor their T-shirt messages, and instill in them a love for learning.

You want me to check their backpacks for weapons, wage war on drugs and sexually transmitted diseases, and raise their sense of self-esteem and personal pride.

You want me to teach them patriotism and good citizenship, sportsmanship and fair play, and how to register to vote, balance a check book, and apply for a job.

You want me to check their heads for lice, recognize signs of antisocial behavior, and make sure that they all pass the final exams.

You also want me to provide them with an equal education regardless of their handicaps, and communicate regularly with their parents in English, Spanish or any other language by letter, telephone, newsletter, and report card.

You want me to do all this with a piece of chalk, a blackboard, a bulletin board, a few books, a big smile, and a starting salary that qualifies me for food stamps.

You want me to do all this, and then you tell me...I CAN'T PRAY!


Indeed all of this and more is happening daily in schools across our nation.

We MUST improve our education system.
We MUST invest our every child's future.
We MUST pray.


"The effective fervent prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective." James 5: 16b (NIV)


Thank you for reading...I welcome your comments.


SharB~TTSD
#TakeTheScaffoldingDown

2 comments:

  1. This truly is something to think about...we are raising a generation of forgotten kids for selfish gain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly why there are great strides being made regarding education reform. We absolutely MUST invest in our children's education so that they will have a successful future. Along with that education investment in our children, education investments need to be made in parenting. This is a generation of much younger parents and that changes they also require parenting skills along with relationship skills, education for jobs, and skills on how to present yourself for a job, and often basic daily living skills. This all leads to the need to invest more; however our economy is such a decline and with so much opposition from the Republican party to support middle and lower income classes, the downward spiral slowly continues.

      Delete